Saturday, May 12, 2012

{vintage desk chair make-over--AFTER}

Here's Part II of my vintage desk chair make-over!

Last time I left off, we were here:

I focused on the seat & legs, while my sister focused on the back pegs.

We saved the top detailed panel for last. I was afraid the paint would fill in the carvings, & we would lose the detail. For the most part, that didn't happen, but for the lines that did fill in with paint, I traced over them with a pencil.

You can also see that we painted this in the garage. Not only was in raining on & off all day, it was humid & windy. I didn't want any pollen or leaves to get stuck in the wet paint.

After waiting two hours, we did a second coat. I was a little nervous about the seemed much lighter on the chair than what was shown on the color swatch. But as it dried, it grew darker :)

Again, the humidity made the drying process seem like FOREVER. We painted it on Tuesday & it wasn't fully dry until Thursday morning. The last step was spraying it with an acrylic coating.

I used this brand, but there are tons of other options out there:

I brought it out into the middle of our street because I didn't want the wind to blow the spray on my dog ;) He seemed unimpressed by the entire project though, lol.


Here's the transformation:

After letting it dry for a few hours, I brought it up to its new home. I LOVE the end result!!

{I also cleaned off my desk, lol}

Here's the breakdown of costs {minus the already-owned acrylic spray}:

Chair: $30 {and it benefited a hospital, so double score}
Paint: $15
Brushes: $10
Plastic floor covering: $4

Total: $59

Not bad! All in all, I'm so glad I did it. I absolutely love my new chair :)

Now onto the next project!

No comments:

Post a Comment